Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On the Refreshment of the Holy Spirit

A can of soda pop poured into a tall glass, fizzes over the rim then slowly settles. Those little bubbles of carbon dioxide rise from within the weight of the water. Yet the longer it sets, the more lukewarm it becomes, and the flatter the substance is to the taste buds. What started out fizzing up and over settles into a non-refreshing sugary substance. A popular beverage that now tastes less than mediocre.


Today, right now, this moment begs the question - have we settled into mediocre?

Have we found, once again, that comfortable place where that still small voice is silenced? Do we blend in just enough that we are not recognized by our differences; that we feel no real surge to make a difference in the world?

Is the Spirit that has been poured out for us, as believers, causing us to rise up within the weight of this world?

Or are we settling like the fizzing of a freshly poured soda quieting itself into the syrupy beverage (the popular beverage, that some consider "pure death," or at the very least, when consumed over and over, is considered "detrimental to our health.")?

Are we settling into the comforts of our surroundings? Could taking a sip of that complacency over and over again be detrimental to us, too? Over time could our spirits become flat-lined by a lukewarm faith?

Are we not meant to bubble over with the Spirit's awaking? To drink from His cup, which is life?

"Taste and see that the LORD is good..." Psalm 34:8

Will we say, " For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes..."? Romans 1:16

Will we stand out like a fresh can of soda pop bubbling over the rim of it's glass, overflowing into a mess - a foolish, worthy mess?

***
Like my pastor asked Sunday morning, how much of the Holy Spirit are you willing to receive in your life?


How is your life bubbling over and bringing God glory?


God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. Acts 2:32-33

An edited post from the archives, in light of this past Pentecost Sunday

15 comments:

  1. mmm...nice....challenging...it is easy to slip into those safe places you know and not even realise it and even think the comfort a blessing...nice challenge..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to bubble up and overflow with the Spirit. Come, Holy Spirit. Fill the hearts of the faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want all God has for me! I want to be immersed! Washed! Dunked! Swimming in His Holy Spirit! Way to highlight the elephant in the room of the trinity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes...this is so good...my devotional has been going through aspect of His spirit...so thankful He did not leave us here to ourselves...may we bubble with all He has for us~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a times we all grow "flat," but it's a consequence of not plugging into God. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've found a great analogy for being flat about the things of God. I know I really realted, considering my unholy Dr. Pepper addiction :)
    Seriously though, thank you for the challenge to seek and grow (and never lose the bubbles).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you put that Theresa..."Could taking a sip of that complacency over and over again be detrimental to us, too? Over time could our spirits become flat-lined by a lukewarm faith?" I don't want to taste complacency...I want to drink the awesome 'fizziness' of Holy Spirit! Thanks for a great analogy and reminder today...needed that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just what I need to get me going today! Thank you for giving me something to reflect on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great words of challenge here.

    One more analogy of the soda pop . . . one drink is never enough. Keeps me coming back for more.

    "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is GOOD!"

    Lovely post, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am encouraged and humbled, at the same time. I know the Holy Spirit is poured out for me and dwells in me. How mediocre am I? I out on the edge am I? I have much to ponder here. Thanks for these words and thanks for visiting me tonight at Being Woven.
    May the Lord shower His blessings upon you, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great alalogy! I have been guilty of complacency, but my desire is to bubble and fizz - overflowing with His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Theresa, I'll never look at a lukewarm glass of diet coke in the same way again. I love your questions. Always challenged here! May you bubble over with renewed passion as you seek Him this week. (I want that, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a good message, Theresa. "Complacency," flat-lined," "lukewarm," "mediocre" - is this what the Bible also calls "hardness of heart." Indeed it is "detrimental to our health" and slowly, subtly leads to "pure death," at least in killing off any good spiritual fruit the Lord might want to produce through us. I do believe the culprit leading to this lukewarm condition is selfishness and self-sufficiency, and not valuing and appreciating the wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Let us encourage one another to really get to know God and His goodness and love by spending time with Him and learning to trust Him in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I should have identified sunray7 is your Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a lot to chew on in this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!